We will continue to update this page as information becomes available. Please check back frequently for new updates.
Please note, it is important to consult with your employer about specific prevention, containment,
and operational protocols. AANC is not a governing authority and no information provided should
be misconstrued as legal or operational advice.
Wake County Courts will be temporarily closed and/or operating at reduced capacity, but they are currently accepting new case filings. This will affect summary ejectment small claims, appeals hearings, as well as suits against the owners and operators. Pending small claims proceedings will be continued by the courts and you should check with your attorney or the courts as to the status of any pending matters. At this time, Special proceedings (foreclosures) are moving forward as normal.
Executive Order 176: On 11/11/20 Governor Cooper issued Executive Order 176. This order extends Phase 3 under Executive Order 169. Notably, the latest Order 176, reduces indoor gatherings from 25 to 10 people and reduces outdoor gatherings to a maximum of 50 people in the same area. This does not apply to restaurants or fitness centers, however it does apply to clubhouses, parks, and recreational centers.
The N.C. Housing Opportunities and Prevention of Evictions (HOPE) prggam application period closed at 6 p.m. on 11/11/20. HOPE Program funding is provided to the state through U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development Community Development Block Grant−Coronavirus Response and U.S. Department of Treasury Coronavirus Relief allocations. To date, North Carolina has directed $167 million to the HOPE Program and will close the application period to ensure necessary funds for current applicants.
COVID-19 Resident Assistance Programs
View state and local programs.
The U.S. House of Representatives passed H.R. 925, a slimmed-down version of the HEROES Act originally passed by the House in May. The new, $2.2 trillion package passed by a vote of 214-207 and was advanced by House Democrats after negotiations on a compromise agreement with the Trump Administration and Senate Republicans broke down. Learn more here.
Chief Justice Cheri Beasley issued an order extending emergency directives in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. The order extends all unexpired Emergency Directives. Learn more here.
The CDC issued a nationwide order halting evictions for nonpayment of rent beginning Friday, September 4th. Set to expire December 31st, this order provides provisions for renters with annual income levels at or below $99,000 or $198,00 for dual income households. Learn more here.
AANC FAQ: Eviction Moratorium & Liability
Click here for a resource to navigate the ending of the CARES Act Eviction Moratorium.
THE LATEST FROM NAA
- November 11, 2020 Economic Impact Report
- CDC Guidance
- State and Regulatory information for NC: Details here.
North Carolina Coronavirus Hotline: 866-462-3821 - or you can call 211.
Text information/updates are also available. To sign up, text COVIDNC to 898211.
- State & Local Resident Assistance Programs
- North Carolina COVID-19 Resources for Renters Facing Eviction
- Assistance Resources: Provided by the NC DPS Division of Emergency Management.
- Paycheck Protection Program FAQ
- State and Regulatory Information
- NC Emergency Management Process
- BBB Tips on COVID-19
- News & Observer: All COVID-19 related resources
- NCDHHS: COVID-19 Information
- American Heart Association CEO Round Table
- NCDHHS: COVID-19 County Map
- Coronavirus Outbreak: What Real Estate Managers Need to Know
- IREM® Pandemic Guide for Real Estate Managers
Info to share with your residents:
- Current Stay at Home Ordinances in NC
- CDC: Recommendations for Residents
- CDC: What do you need to know?
- COVID-19 in the Apartment Community: How to Stay Safe
Best Practices for Virtual School Impact on Membership
Operational Best Practices
Guidance on how to keep safe while keeping your business running during these challenging times.
- Rent Collection
- Resident Exposure
- Free Form for Rent Relief Requests
- Resident Engagement
- Off-Campus Student Housing
- Other Resources
Advocacy, Regulatory & Legal
Information on the federal, state and local laws and regulations in response to COVID-19.
Daily and weekly webinars updating you on a broad range of industry topics.
Economic & Impact Reports
Bi-weekly updates on economic forecasts and impacts of the coronavirus on the national economy.
Media & Media Coverage
How to handle media requests and coverage of NAA in the media.
- National Suppliers Council Directory
- Cintas Offering PPE Bulk Order for NAA Members
- Resources from NAA's Top Tier Supplier Partners
- Additional Resources from NAA's Supplier Partners