Position Announcement: Greater Charlotte Apartment Association Executive Director
The Greater Charlotte Apartment Association is seeking an experienced, innovative professional to serve as its Executive Director. The successful candidate for the position will inherit a well-respected, fiscally-sound organization. He or she will have the opportunity to build on the association’s 41 year history as a leading voice in serving the legislative, educational, and information needs of its members.
The Association is a non-profit membership trade association whose members and partners represent a broad spectrum of experience and viewpoints in developing, owning, managing and servicing Charlotte-area apartment communities. The Association forges consensus and partnerships while working to achieve common goals.
Governance and Finances
The Greater Charlotte Apartment Association is governed by an active 23-member board of directors made up of some of the leading apartment professionals in the marketplace. The Executive Director supervises a staff of 6 full time and 1 part-time employees. For more information on specific programs and services, visit the Association’s website at www.greatercaa.org.
The Association’s operating budget for the current fiscal year is approximately $1.5 million. Chief sources of support include memberships from apartment owners developers, managers, and suppliers; education, special events, and corporate sponsorships.
Desired Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in public administration, business administration, planning or related area; related graduate degree preferred.
- A minimum of five years of broad management experience, preferably in a non-profit sector, including strategic planning, board development, marketing, communications, advocacy, and event management; ten years preferred.
- Demonstrated success effectively leading a voluntary, non-profit organization within a complex internal and external environment.
- Demonstrated experience leading a membership organization with diverse partners.
- Demonstrated experience in managing comparably sized budgets and staff.
- Ability to lead and motivate quality volunteer leadership.
- Ability to direct a healthy and growing industry trade association including the essential element of fund-raising.
- Knowledge and understanding of other business, community, and political organizations that impact the Association, with a sense of how to leverage them to benefit the Association and its members.
- Must be an articulate spokesperson with strong verbal and written communication skills to effectively engage with board members, general members, community partners, public elected and appointed officials, and the media.
- Ability to establish and maintain excellent working relationships with board of directors.
- Experience with the housing/community development field is preferred.
Industry Knowledge: Has an understanding of – or a commitment to learn - the complex issues surrounding multi-family rental housing including local, state, and federal legislation; emerging industry trends; taxation; regulations; urban housing needs; the concerns of for-profit and nonprofit developers, owners, and managers; industry demographics; and more.
The Executive Director’s salary and overall compensation will be commensurate with the experience and background of the successful applicant.
To apply, send cover letter and resume to: Greater Charlotte Apartment Association Search Committee, c/o Jennings Snider, 6060 Piedmont Row Drive South, #575, Charlotte, NC, 28287 OR e-mail email@example.com, Subject Line: Executive Director.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. The Greater Charlotte Apartment Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer.