NC Chief Justice Order
Chief Justice’s Oder of Aprils 2, 2020
The Chief Justice’s Order of Aprils 2, 2020 provides for the following:
- All non-emergent court proceedings that will not be conducted remotely must be scheduled or rescheduled for a date no sooner than 1 June 2020.
- Judicial officials throughout the state are authorized to conduct proceedings by remote audio and video transmissions.
- Only absolutely necessary people should be in the courthouse and attorneys are strongly encouraged to submit filings by mail.
- Any document that must be verified or under oath can be satisfied through an affirmation except for wills to be probated, real estate conveyances, or any document not filed with the court.
- Service of certain documents (covered under Rule 5 of the Rules of Civil Procedure) may be made by email. This does not extend to the service of a Summons and Complaint.
For most of our members the first point above will be the most pressing. The Order will not prohibit filings of new cases, it just requires that they not be calendared for hearing prior to June 1, 2020. The Order will expire on May 1, 2020 but is expected to renewed for an additional 30 day.